What is “Activity VS Data Transform” in PEGA?
When we create an activity we will get a warning message
“The use of activity rules should be limited. The need for activities can be reduced by using data transforms, as well as techniques such as case management, the Engine API, and declaratives.”
While implementing a functionality by writing an activity, our approach should be like this.
- Looks up OOTB, if the implementation is available, use OOTB.
- Try to implement using alternate rules Reports, declaratives, API, Case management, Data Transforms, Data Pages etc…
- If not possible with above two option then create your own activity.
We always have to avoid creating activities, the reason being, activities are the only rules have the capability to disturb PRPC transaction model of commit.
Interview point of view
When we want to perform only property set(s) operations, we have create DTF rather than activity.
Because DTF are light weight and faster processing.
Flow Action Pre-processing and Post Processing Activity/DTF.
Open any flow action and go to action tab
We can see at Pre processing and post processing we have a facility to call DTF/Activities.
- If we call an activity at pre processing it gets executed while flow action/scree is getting loaded. After the pre processing activity gets completed successfully then only Flow Action gets loaded.
- If we call an activity at post processing. This activity gets executed when we click on submit button.
After the successful execution of post processing activity, the respective flow step gets closed.